I recently realized that I hadn't been seeing any ads from the Brave Browser.
This is my story and what I learned throughout this journey.
First, Brave is cool. I've been using it for a while and actually like using it in general.
The first thing I tried was a reboot. Obviously that failed ... or this would have been a remarkably short article.
When that didn't work, I started some research.
I started searching with
brave ads windows 10 not working and read through two "Brave Community threads:
- Brave supported ads on Windows 10 not opening
- Brave Browser not showing in Windows 10 Notifications, no ads showing
My research pulled up several settings that needed to be changed on my system.
Basically, I found out that this is a common issue with a variety of solutions. Having rebooted my machine, I skipped the ones that said to reboot or restart the browser.
I did see that the Brave Browser was not showing in the Notification settings under Windows 10. I changed these settings to match what was recommended online. At this point, I event rebooted ... to no avail.
In the midst of all this, I turned Focus Assist on ... and off, before realizing that it could have been causing some issues.
At this point, since I thought I had all of the settings correct, but wasn't seeing the application in the Notifications section, I saved my settings and reinstalled the Brave Browser.
This failed. It did install ... it didn't change anything in the notifications area.
Then, I saw this ...
Go to any messaging website using brave browser (I did it with this one - brave community) and enable notifications. Once you receive your first message/notification, brave will show up in notification settings on windows and you will start receiving ads.
It’s weird but it works.
I spent a few minutes trying to find a site that would trigger a notification. Failing this, I went back to the article where I saw the note above and found ... Ben Kennish's Web Site and saw the link HTML5 Web Notifications test page.
From the page I stumbled on, I was able to Authorize and Show a notification. I will say that it was not an instantaneous process, but it did show a notification.
And, within 20-minutes I was seeing ads again!