It is crucial to check every aspect of an eCommerce website to not compromise on important factors like user experience, security, and quick loading time.
The success of your eCommerce website depends on determining which features to test in an e-commerce website, providing seamless performance without having any errors.
You can give your customers the best shopping experience if your e-Shop is working efficiently. Thus, seven important eCommerce website features list need to be tested in an eCommerce website to ensure uninterrupted performance.
The eCommerce website structure consists of different pages, including Main pages, category pages, product descriptions, and shopping cart.
The testing of the entire workflow of your e-commerce web / mobile application includes:
- Login and signup options
- Search functionality
- Product review posting feature
- Sorting facility
- Apply filters to select the desired product (s)
- Add/remove functionality to shopping cart
- Check out the process
- Order number and invoice generation
- Payment Gateway and Payment Processing
One of the important things to test in an ecommerce website is to check the payment gateway. You will have to do many tests to make sure it works properly and provides security when conducting online transactions.
Here are the checkout and payment process you need to test:
- The correct price of the product, shipping charge, VAT, discount code all apply to you, and the customer has to pay the correct amount. You can test this payment process by editing the final list of products, applying different discount coupon codes, and selecting a different area to see changes in shipping charges.
- You need to check if the payment has been processed properly using all payment methods like Net Banking, Credit / Debit Card, PayPal etc. Also, you need to check that the order has been cancelled and the payment ID has been returned. You can see all this using dummy accounts and demo debit/credit card numbers.
- Check whether invoices and emails generated after the payment process have been sent.
You also need to ensure that the refund process, email and refund receipt are all working properly to complete the eCommerce website features testing.
E-commerce applications contain valuable information (customer’s personal and banking data), so you need to perform security tests to check security and vulnerability issues.
You can use testing methods such as SQL injection, ethical hacks on login, registration, payment gateway, and other pages.
The e-commerce application needs to work on all web browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, Safari etc.
You need to check the app’s browser compatibility to ensure that your customers can use your e-commerce website without hassle
Nowadays, mobile devices occupy the desktop platform in terms of internet access, and companies are adopting a mobile-first strategy in their eCommerce website.
You need to test the responsive design of your application on mobile devices of different screen sizes.
The last essential thing to test in an ecommerce website is to verify the performance of your website/application.
You need to perform performance testing on parameters like webpage loading speed, throughput, data transfer rate, efficiency, uptime, database performance, website traffic load tolerance, error message etc.
You need to make your e-commerce website high search engine visibility to get enough user traffic to your site. You can do this by applying search engine optimization (SEO) to your website.
You need to check if the SEO strategy like title tag, meta description, URL structure, image alt tag etc., is implemented properly.