And what are the total costs (or risks) that you have to pay? Self-hosted? Also, would you donate anyway? (I do worry about sustainability of service providers)
What is your monthly cost? And what about learning curve, in your opinion?
(And what about social marketing / make your website popular?)
Currently I have
- Plausible analytics, currently in trial period; but 5 USD / mo is not much
- Remark42 commenting engine, free and self-hosted, but I Patreon'd.
Brave browser, which is based on Google's Chromium anyway
- Have problem with Firebase Auth, in particular due to localStorage not accessible., but not in Google Chrome or other browsers.
- Hosting / VPS. DigitalOcean and Linode are very popularly recommended, but a while ago, I asked on Kuzzle, and they recommended scaleway.
- I currently use Google Cloud Platform free credits, for VPS. Free credits last for 1 year. I might move after one year.
- Not to mention that self-hosting does have learning curve
- I have not yet been successful in implementing Auth / API protection without relying on Firebase Auth / localStorage. Might be nice if I move localStorage into cookies.
- Auth. Seen Okta, but concerned about the price.
- Storage, that I can use programmatically in both adding new data and retrieval.
- After all, support, in case I cannot solve it myself.
I guess my costs is currently around 15 USD / mo, while I actually earn zero money.
In the end, I think sustainability is the most important, if you wish to serve the general public.
BTW, what do you think about many donations (whether online or offline, at least in my experience) prefer to be monthly / yearly, rather than once?