This blog post is not really tech related and it surely is different from other posts I have written. But it would be as interesting as other posts, trust me :)
Year 2020 is about to end and now is a good time to summarise everything:
- to remember your 2020 resolutions;
- to analyse what you have accomplished, achieved, not achieved, still in process etc,;
- to cross out old goals and make new ones;
- to figure out your next steps
- to learn from your mistakes
- to celebrate your small and big wins
For me, 2020 year was wonderful. Even though this year of Corona is difficult for the mankind, for me it was a year of interesting study and continuous improvement on personal and professional level.
Before 2020 I had some knowledge of programming - I graduated from Coding Academy as .NET Developer (if you want to know about my previous experience in tech, you're most welcome to read about here :)
Precisely in January 2020 I have decided to give coding second chance and try web development. Why web development? Simply because Im a visual person and I like to see the results of my work right away on the screen :) I started with assignments on Khan Academy and finished a few courses.
In February 2020 I decided to take a 100DaysOfCode challenge on Twitter and that was the best decision for my career change. I learned so much during lockdowns and still learning.
I wrote down my whole learning path here by documenting every day of my study. I spent no less than 1 hour a day for coding (sometimes it was 2 hours) and soon coding became my habit.
My goals for 2020 were:
- to get more coding practice and learn new things
- to improve my discipline and set myself up for success
- to build coding habit
- to create a strong portfolio
- to maintain healthy way of life
I achieved ALL of them. I organised them in 3 categories:
Targets were what I want to achieve, like Participate in 100daysOfCode.
Goals were what I need to do to achieve a target, like Aim to code 1 hour a day.
Tasks were very small steps I need to do to achieve a goal, like Build a Survey Form from freeCodeCamp.
For completing of each task or goal or target I set up rewards for myself :) It could be a small reward like a chocolate or a big one like dinner at restaurant or new gadget. For me this system worked like a charm and you can read below what I have achieved.
NOTE: I will repeat once again that I have spent only 1 hour a day for coding.
- Responsive Web Design Certificate from freeCodeCamp + 5 web pages made during study
- WordPress Portfolio with my experience, projects, CV and blogs
- GitHub repositories - 16 (I had 2 before I started my journey)
- FrontEnd Mentor challenges - 4 webpages
- Webpages to practice CSS - 4 webpages
- Intro to React library and projects based on tutorials and my own ideas:
- Author Quiz
- ToDo app
- Pet Doctor
- Shopping Cart
- Random Quote Machine
- Test Report
- Build-O-Pizza (in progress) All of these projects you can find on my GitHub page.
8.CSS libraries - Bootstrap, SASS, Tailwind
- 100 Days of code and me - first blog on my Portfolio page
- 18 posts on blogging platform Dev.to + 3 badges
- 12 posts on blogging platform Hashnode.com - mainly reposting
- Started with gym and exercised no less than 2 times a week for 9 month (from September we have moved to Berlin and 2nd lockdown started )
- Lost 9 kilo - combined result from fitness, healthy nutrition, sleep and walks
As you read, for me this year was a blast! I hope next year would be as productive as 2020 :) And Im looking forward to read about your 2020 reflection!