I wanted to make a simple VR app for my Oculus Go and had to setup my environment beforehand. This tutorial tries to simplify the mentioned reference tutorial.
⁉️ Some sections of this tutorial are not exactly clear to me because I had to try things out. They are marked with this symbol: ⁉️. Please, help me improve those sections with comments.
- You own an Oculus Go
- You own a Windows PC
- Unity installed (In this case: 2019.3.3f1)
- Chocolatey installed
choco install -y adb android-sdk
When I first followed the reference tutorial, this step was not necessary to deploy to the Oculus Go. Since the reference tutorial considers it crucial, I will include those two steps, because nothing broke once I did it.
⁉️ I‘m not sure if performing the following steps makes
choco install adb obsolete.
- Browse [https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/oculus-adb-drivers/] and download the ZIP
- Right-click on
Since the "allow file access" dialog did not appear once the developer account was enabled, I left it diasabled until the last step.
- Plug in your Oculus Go
- Allow file access on the Oculus Go
- Enable developer mode via the Oculus app
- Allow access on the Oculus Go
When installing Unity via the Hub, make sure to also install the Android tools. If it didn't work - and in my case it didn't - download via the link in File > Build Settings and install them.
- Create a new 3D Project
- In Edit > Preferences > External Tools disable built-in JDK and built-in Android SDK ⁉️
- Click browse next to JDK and Android SDK and either search for your JDK and Android SDK or accept the path Unity found (recommende if Unity actually found something) ⁉️
- Go To File > Build Settings
- Click on Android and "Switch Platform" if necessary
- Go To Edit > Project Settings > Player
- Enter your Company Name, scroll to XR Settings and activate "Virtual Reality Support"
- Add Oculus via the plus symbol to the right under "Virtual Reality Support"
- Go to File > Build Settings
- Click Build and Run
- Enjoy the VR app
- Use the Oculus Utilities from the asset store and implement all it‘s features.
- Make a 360 degree image the skybox like here: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXUoQ7VnLDc]
- Make a Raycast like here: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yf5vzZ2sYE]