Dave Thomas gave this inspirational and funny lecture about how the Elixir programming language could play a big part in creating the future.
The gist of this lecture is:
- making Elixir and the Phoenix framework "just" a better Rails is a low goal
- Elixir/Erlang have roots in Prolog
- Prolog allows you to program extremely declaratively
- if the BEAM community (Erlang + Elixir) dare to do new things the BEAM languages could play a big role in the Internet of Things, ambient computing and a host of other things
- if we don't do it, it may well be done (very) poorly by other technologies, including security flaws
(Thanks @rhymes for the tip on YouTube markdown)