Do you want to stay focused on your things? Do you want to boost your productivity? Do you want to get the most out of your time?
I struggle with staying focused and being productive sometimes, as well .
But fear not.
We can solve this problem with a simple solution : " hour-blocks "
So what is "hour-blocks"? And how to do it?
Doing hour blocks simply means planning your daily activities but making it more specific.
A simple daily plan would look like this :
- Study for exams.
- Hang out with friends.
- work on side projects.
- Read a book.
Having such a daily plan is good but it's not great.
You say "I'll study for my exam" but when? For how long?
You need to make it more specific.
You might have had on planning to study for an hour but end up studying for 20 minutes instead and then be like "okay phew one task down" without realizing you've wasted 40 minutes of your precious time!
Now in order to make your day more productive, set time for each activities. Like :
- Study for exams : 10am - 12pm
- take a break : 12pm - 1pm
- Hang out with friends : 1pm - 3pm
- work on side projects : 4pm - 6pm
- Take a break : 6pm - 7pm
- Read a book : 9pm - 10pm
You should also consider a few things while doing hour blocks:
- Always make some time for a break.
- Break time means BREAK TIME.
- Let your roommates or siblings know you'll be busy and you shouldn't be bothered.
- Put the phone away or turn off the wifi.
- You could use a time tracker app to keep track of your time. I use this time tracker and seeing how much time I've spent on doing something makes me feel proud, like yaaaay I'm doing great
- It's okay if you couldn't complete all of your tasks according to your plans. Sometimes I can't manage to complete all the tasks as well.
I've done hour blocks and I can guarantee it is 100% efficient.
There are times when I fail to do hour blocks and when it happens I end up wasting so much time.
So if you need discipline (like me) and to get the most out of your precious time I suggest try hour blocks.
Akshay's latest article inspired me to come up with this article.
You can check his awesome article here