So this is not another comparison post, I've read enough of those to understand the basic differences between these two. This is basically an open discussion for anyone familiar with both of these technologies.
- No type safety
- a single error can just tank the entire system
- Runs hot on memory
- Not great at concurrency
Here's where elixir phoenix comes in.
- Functional/immutable patterns deal with type safety
- Resilience, errors kill a process without taking down the entire app
- Runs lighter on memory
- A beast at concurrent tasks
But of course I've not yet dove in and while the setup was easy, I know there is much pain to come on this route.
- Typescript gives you back type safety
- If you use typescript in strict mode you should avoid most common errors
- You can go serverless here and use lambda functions to mitigate the issues of the old node monolith and memory problems.
- Serverless functions effectively spin up a new process for each call so really you would get the advantages of elixir phoenix concurrency.