With 2022 just started you might want to get started in programming
You can watch the full video on YouTube
- Decide which platform you would like to program for
- Desktop application
Once you decide what platform the confusion begin where do i start? In this video we will break down Web
For Web we need to start with the basics
In web development there is 2 routes you can take (Very abstract)
- FrontEnd (Client Side Development)
- Backend (Server Side Development)
I know these sounds very confusion but i will do my best to break them down.
We will start by front end which mean building the user interface that we see when we visit our application, client side development.
Frontend technology at it is core is formed of the following
These 3 will cover how to create a web page, style it and have some limited functionalities
These are the foundation blocks good free resources to use to get started
With these 3 technology you are ready to go but if you want to take a step further there is a lot of front end framework that you could learn to increase your skill set the most famous ones are
- React (https://reactjs.org)
- Angular (https://angular.io)
- VueJs (https://vuejs.org)
Next Step is Backend:
If the frontend is the look and feel of our website the backend is the brain behind it. its referred to as server side development in essence it is everything that the users don't see and contains behind-the-scenes activities that occur when performing any action on a website. It focuses primarily on databases, backend logic, APIs.
Example when the user click on a button the action is switched from UI side to the backend side where all of the logic is executed.
There is a lot of backend technologies that you can learn
- ASP.NET (C#)
Backend Development Skills
- Managing resources
Out of these technologies my personal favourite is ASP.NET C# let us discuss why
let us discuss why? C# allows me to build
- Web (ASP.NET, Blazor, Maui )
- mobile (Xamarin, MAUI)
- desktop (MAUI, WPF, Windows Forms, Console Applications)
- Cloud (with Azure)
- games (unity)
- AI with ML.Net and .NEt for apache spark
it opens up alot of possibilities by simply learning 1 language.
In the .Net world when building web applications it is referred to as ASP.Net and most recently with the release of .Net 6 called Minimal API.
What is ASP.NET, it is a free. Cross-platform. Open source. framework for building web apps and services with .NET and C# you can build applications on Windows Mac or Linux.
So why choose ASP.NET
- its open source and has a big active community
Based on my opinion if you are interested in learning more about .net and c# i would you will need to learn C# first then jump into ASP.NET since once you understand the building blocks of the language it will be easy to move forward with the more advance features.
recommend the following resrouce
- An amazing video series on youtube by the one and only Scott Hanselman and Kendra Havens covering C# basics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM4CHBmAPh4&list=PLdo4fOcmZ0oVxKLQCHpiUWun7vlJJvUiN
- Another amazing free video series by Scott Hansleman and Leslie Richardson covering ASP.NET basics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE8NdaX97m0&list=PLdo4fOcmZ0oW8nviYduHq7bmKode-p8Wy
- As well microsoft has Learn .Net website which provide free courses in C# ASP.NET basically everything related to .Net you can find a free course on to jump start your learning process
- As well you can watch my video on youtube to also learn about .Net
- C# fundamentals by Scot Alan RIP https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/csharp-fundamentals-dev
Please share additional links in the description below so other people will be able to benefit, happy new year and good luck in your new journey.
Top comments (6)
One free web development resource that I like to recommend to people, which I didn't see in your article, is freecodecamp.org/
Overall, nice post! I really liked the discussion about learning C# and learned some things about developing in C# that I did not know before.
I prefer flexbox or CSS Grid. But bootstrap is more convenient for a beginner cause the pre-made elements are inside the bootstrap library itself. Here's all the information on how to install Bootstrap for WordPress hostforweb.com/article/how-use-boo... Using it, the creating site speed for WordPress will be several times faster. There are minor difficulties installing bootstrap on WordPress, but it's all solvable in literally 5 minutes.
You can also do adaptations on classic CSS. CSS is at that level now, especially if you use preprocessors. The course I'm taking now recommends trying css grid. But grids are very complicated for beginners as I understand it.
Thanks for this, so helpful .
What for a beginner to use in the layout on Wordpress to make fast and adaptive sites. I'm taking a small course on making sites on Wordpress, so I have some questions about that.
Thank you for this details