Streaming content to multiple channels is something every streamer can get excited about, but their is a catch, highly-priced licenses. Well, that's where Nginx comes in as your saviour to self host your own solution.
Last year, i was tasked to stream to 8 platforms all at once, 3 Facebook pages, 2 Twitter Pages, and 3 Youtube accounts.
Restream had limits to its own licensing, the same applied to Castr.io. So, I chose the manual way of getting things done, create the solution myself. So, i cloned and improved a solution by
Rafalfaro18 on Github.
If you are in the same situation as i was, worry not, simply follow the steps below.
- Deploy a cloud server probably running a friendly distro such as Ubuntu, or CentOS.
I use Vultr, but if you have a Digital Ocean or Linode account, you can use that, there are no limitations.
- Login using a regular account that's a member of the Sudoers group.
- Install Docker and Docker Compose on the server.
- Clone my Github repository.
- View contents of the README file and setup your streaming platforms.
- Deploy the application and make sure the container is running, and allow port
1935through your firewall.
- Start sending your stream to the server, Nginx will broadcast it to all streaming platforms you set in the
- Go to your Youtube channel or other channels you set and verify that your stream is going through.
Just like that, you can break the chains all thanks to open-source. More over, once you are done streaming your content, you can safely delete the server to avoid any extra costs billed to your account.
Now, compare that to a 1 month Restream license that will remain unused when you are not streaming.
I hope you find this post useful, if you do, a thumbs up would not be bad either.