Over the past couple of years, I've had a handful of opportunities to take on work outside of my day-to-day job. In my case, it's been inconsistent as I'd like to do more. I've tried reaching out to local businesses that could use a website redesign and have asked questions like:
- What do you like about your current site?
- What would you do differently with your current site?
- How is your relationship with your current developer?
- How are you handling changes?
- Would you like to make more changes yourself or send them directly to the developer?
Many times, the business hasn't responded and I feel like the best approach isn't asking them directly in person since the individual isn't likely present or isn't even a part of on-site operations.
What's some verbiage you've used that you've found to be successful? Are there any tips you can share in your approach to garnering work? I've got work to show for, but feel it hasn't helped progress the freelancer aspect.
I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but If you're looking to collaborate or have a position on your team, I'd be stoked to learn more. Check out some of my work on my portfolio website linked below.
I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations moving forward.