For the last year, we've been hard at work scaling our infrastructure and developing new features based on the feedback we received from more than 8,000 beta testers. Today we are excited to announce that Chatkit is generally available.
What is Chatkit?
Chatkit is a set of APIs that enables you to build bespoke in-app messaging inside your mobile and web apps. It comes with out-of-the-box features that your end users expect to see in any in-app chat such as:
- typing indicators
- file & images sharing
- online presence
- roles & permissions
- read cursors
… and more, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.
We've set out to build Chatkit based on the feedback of our Channels users that were fed up with the lack of extensibility and customisability of off-the-shelf solutions like Zendesk Chat and Intercom, or messaging platforms such as WhatsApp and Facebook messenger. They wanted to build a chat experience that fits their business needs and own their own data.
What's new in Chatkit
Right after the beta launch, we heard requests from developers for more SDKs in the languages you know best and love working with - so we released both new client and server SDKs. We also added some new features that bring even more out-of-the-box functionality such as:
- Roles & permissions - create custom roles within your Chatkit instances to differentiate how users interact with your chat
- Read cursors - track how far a user has read through the messages in a room
- Instance Inspector - inspect what is happening with users, rooms, messages, and roles in your instance
- Rich media support - add attachments to messages. (note: this feature is remaining in beta for now, but a general availability update is coming soon!)
We've also added some new SDKs, and updated the existing ones:
We have a roadmap packed with features to help you build the in-app experience your users want.
Here is a small teaser of what is coming out in the next few months:
- Custom Data for Rooms
- Multi-part Messages
- New and improved Files API
- Push notification support and fallback
- End-to-end encryption
As always, we'd love your feedback, so let us know what you think! You can reach out to us at email@example.com