You can now leverage Apple’s tensorflow-metal PluggableDevice in TensorFlow v2.5 for accelerated training on Mac GPUs directly with Metal. Learn more here.
macOS 12.0+ (latest beta)
Acceleration for Intel GPUs
V1 TensorFlow Networks
- What is tensorflow?
- What is miniforge?
- What is miniconda?
Uninstalling existing anaconda/conda from macOS
- Install the Anaconda-Clean package
- Remove all Anaconda-related files
- Remove entire anaconda installation directory
Step 1: Install Miniforge
- Download and install Conda env
- Create an anaconda environment
- Activate the environment
Step 2: Install TensorFlow
- Install TensorFlow dependencies
- Install base TensorFlow
- Install tensorflow-metal plugin
- Install common Data Science packages
- Related Articles
TensorFlow is open source deep learning framework created by developers at Google and released in 2015. It is actively used at Google both for research and production needs.
Please check references if you would like to read more about TensorFlow and other popular deep learning libraries.
Miniforge is the community (conda-forge) driven
minimalistic conda installer. Subsequent package installations come thus from
Miniconda is the Anaconda (company) driven minimalistic
conda installer. Subsequent package installations come from the anaconda
channels (default or otherwise).
Note: Uninstall Anaconda/Anaconda Navigator and other related previously installed version of conda-based installations. Anaconda and Miniforge cannot co-exist together.
conda install anaconda-clean
After running above command you should see the directory where anaconda is installed.
now recursively remove that folder
rm -rf YOUR-ANACONDA-DIRECTORY
Please note that this tutorial is for arm64 : Apple Silicon
chmod +x ~/Downloads/Miniforge3-MacOSX-arm64.sh
conda create -n tf python=3.8
conda activate tf
conda install -c apple tensorflow-deps
python -m pip install tensorflow-macos
python -m pip install tensorflow-metal
pip install tensorflow-datasets pandas jupyterlab
- Getting Started with tensorflow-metal PluggableDevice
- What is the difference between miniconda and miniforge?
- PyTorch vs. TensorFlow: Which Framework Is Best for Your Deep Learning Project?