Swyx published an interesting post about his Three Strikes Rule.
I'm struggling with this a lot.
My flow of thoughts is mostly like this:
- "Oh cool, I should write about this!"
- "Hmm, it should meet my minimum requirements, e.g. backed by science."
- "Grr, it's complex. I should do more research."
- "Wow, this should become a whole series. Or a web page."
- 3 weeks later: "I had a lot of other stuff to do, maybe I should trash it."
So it boils down to high requirements, high complexity and procrastination.
Dr. Pychyl emphasizes the importance of concrete and tiny.
That's why I will change my approach and streamline it:
- When I read something interesting or create a new idea, I will add it to my notes app (just in the title).
- When I talk about it again (e.g. with a friend), I will add the details into the note of step 1.
- When I talk about it the next time, I will add [Publish] in front of the note.
We will see how this goes!