What is HTML All The Things?
HTML All The Things is a web development podcast and discord community which was started by Matt and Mike, developers based in Ontario, Canada.
The podcast speaks to web development topics as well as running a small business, self-employment and time management. You can join them for both their successes and their struggles as they try to manage expanding their Web Development business without stretching themselves too thin.
What's This One About?
Tech layoffs are in full swing right now, with companies shrinking their teams for a variety of reasons. This is a stark contrast to the hiring spree that we experienced and grew used to during the chaos that was the COVID-19 pandemic. Does this mean that junior developers should pack up and find work elsewhere? Should people that are still learning web development leave the field entirely?
Tough Times in Tech
- Tech pricing disparity may cause a loss in tech dominance (ie you can get some plumbing done for $300, but a simple app could cost $30k to make)
- Many layoffs from major tech giants including Microsoft, Meta, Google, Amazon, Salesforce, Dell, Cisco, and more
- AI may be coming for developer jobs faster than we thought possible (ie ChatGPT is a major advancement into "uncanny valley" that largely came out of nowhere)
Where to Start
- Keep learning and improving at your fundamentals
- HTML, CSS, JS
- React, TypeScript, etc.
- Build projects (and dabble into full-stack if you haven't already)
- Practice leet code
- Practice interviews (etiquette + Q&A)
How to Differentiate
- Build a small SaaS (whether it's actually functioning as a business, or just a practice one to show off your skills) Contribute to open source projects
- Find a community and get involved (you may be able to skip the entire job interview process if you meet someone and they need help)
- Don't overwork yourself to stand out (work within reason, some overtime is fine - but working until burnout is no good)
If you're enjoying the podcast consider giving us a review on Apple Podcasts or checking out our Patreon to get a shoutout on the podcast.
You can find us on all the podcast platforms out there as well as
Top comments (0)