So... imagine you are starting your dream company with the smartest guys in the coolest office ever.... :) And you are looking for a software developer.
What would be a hiring process you would love to participate? One that you think that really shows a candidate's skills, gives a real result so that you can see that he or she would be a good fit.
My initial idea would be like:
- short and simple interview: talking about previous projects and goals in the long run
- start off with one very basic challenge like Game of Life to check code style, ability to refactor, clean code stuff
- continue with a simple project from database level to frontend like an URL shortener service or something
- last but not least adding a new feature to a complex (preferably legacy) system
- team decides if candidate should be hired
It could be conducted in the office, candidates together with the other developers, so they would be able to ask whenever they want and feel like a member of the team!
What do you think? :)
Learning to code products doesn't take as long as you think - more precisely, 300 hours to learn, build, and launch. Learn about the history and misconceptions of development preventing you from even starting and then hop on that tech bus.