We did comprehensive research on how different CPU models affect Wordpress website performance.
Here is a summary of our conclusions.
- PHP depends on CPU processing power meaning if you need better performance, it is important that you pick a CPU model that has a better official benchmark score – CPU matters.
- The number of CPU cores doesn’t affect the performance of PHP applications - PHP is not multi-threaded. The number of CPU cores will only help you handle a higher traffic.
- PHP string functions are more expensive than math functions.
- VPS instances with a larger amount of RAM memory have little or no impact on PHP performance.
- The best decision will be to use a few high CPU VPS instances with a load balancer, with a separate instance for MySQL DB
- A Standard $20 DigitalOcean droplet will give you a better PHP performance in average than a $640 DigitalOcean droplet.
- A High CPU $40 DigitalOcean droplet will give you the best PHP performance among DigitalOcean droplets.
- Dedicated vCPU give us more stable performance - no large loading time spikes
- Bad programmers are too expensive.
Please take a look at original research article with charts and all the data