Today, I was exploring a new Language "Crystal Programming Language". It has more then 15k stars on GitHub as on Jan, 2021
It has an interesting start, It was started as an experiment by Manastech in 2012 by three members: Ary, Juan and Brian. The first official release came on Jun 18, 2014
At Manas we really like Ruby and use it a lot,
but we feel a bit sad when it’s slow and
we have to migrate our code to another language.
We wished there was a language like Ruby,
only faster and more type safe.
We realized, due to Ruby’s dynamic nature,
that it would be impossible to make Ruby work like that,
so we started our own language.
As many of the things we do at Manas,
Crystal was created to solve a problem.
If it doesn’t exist, why not create it?
Crystal is an Object Oriented, statically-typed and structured programming language with build-in type-checks and syntax close to Ruby, and gives performance close to c/c++.
As mentioned on the crystal official site, Crystal programming language focuses on
- Have a syntax similar to Ruby (but compatibility with it is not a goal).
- Be statically type-checked, but without having to specify the type of variables or method arguments.
- Be able to call C code by writing bindings to it in Crystal.
- Have compile-time evaluation and generation of code, to avoid boilerplate code.
- Compile to efficient native code.
- First Official Post of Hello World by Juan and Ary: (10 Jul 2013) https://crystal-lang.org/2013/07/10/hello-world.html
- Getting Started: https://crystal-lang.org/reference/getting_started/index.html
- Try the online editor: https://play.crystal-lang.org/#/cr
- Raw Crystal 2020 (first community-driven conference for the Crystal language): Presentations Link
- Ary Borenzweig: https://twitter.com/asterite
- Juan Wajnerman: https://github.com/waj
- Brian J. Cardiff: https://github.com/bcardiff
- Lorenzo Barasti: https://twitter.com/lbarasti
- Crystal Language: https://twitter.com/CrystalLanguage
- Manas tech: https://twitter.com/manastech
- Story of Crystal Programming - https://manas.tech/blog/2016/04/01/the-story-behind-crystal/
- Language Reference - https://crystal-lang.org/reference/
- Language Git Page: https://crystal-lang.org
- Release Notes: https://crystal-lang.org/api/0.36.0/toplevel.html
- Crystal Blogs: https://crystal-lang.org/blog/
- StackOverFlow: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/crystal-lang
Crystal Programming Language is impressive by first look, Will deep dive more later on some other day. Next I will be diving to First Look of Q#. Stay with me.
I explore new technologies, languages, and deep dive into the new technical topics. Thanks for staying with me.