The “Game of Pods” is a set of fun challenges that can help students get started learning Kubernetes and to practice real world examples of cloud native application deployment on a real Kubernetes cluster.
The “Game of Pods” makes learning and practicing Kubernetes fun through a set of challenges that must be solved to win the game. Users are sent on quests that require them to diagnose common web server problems, fix broken clusters, deploy applications, and complete other tasks related to troubleshooting Kubernetes or data center security issues.
1) In order to get started, go to the website address: https://kodekloud.com/p/game-of-pods
The “Game of Pods” consists of two data centers: “WestOS” and “EastOS.
These quests are designed to replicate common examples of Kubernetes deployments to give students the practical experience of completing common DevOps tasks.
Next: Fix problems on the game board to restore your data centers to order. Accept the challenge and begin the process of resolving the issues involved with your initial quest.
4) You will receive a quest to deploy a web server architecture stack for a particular software distribution, for example: Drupal with MySQL.
Next: Set up an example volume with storage allocation for the partition with the code:
Volume Name: drupal-mysql-pv
Access modes: ReadWriteOnce
5) For example, one of the tasks require you to use the command line terminal to create the directory on the Worker Nodes. You will need to configure drupal-pv at the following location:
After creating the host path, build the application YAML for the kubernetes cluster.
Then test your work by clicking on the “Check” button in the game-board.
8) Access the application on the host port: NodePort 30095
9) Configure and install the Drupal CMS application with a new MySQL database as required.
10) Complete the task for your first “Game of Pods” quest. Tweet your followers and leave feedback for the KodeKloud website through a short rating survey.
Note: Users who complete the game quest are given the magic chant to fix the cluster on the original map board. After entering the magic chant, you can proceed to undertake the next quest challenge to repair your data center and win the game.
For the “Game of Pods” challenges, each quest is different. Some challenges include broken applications where the user must use command line tools to fix issues. Sometimes there is a broken Kubernetes cluster that needs to be fixed. In other examples, you may need to bootstrap resources on a server with Kubernetes to get applications up and running. Complete the different challenges on the board to lead your data center team to victory.
Check out courses on Kubernetes at KodeKloud and get certified in Kubernetes administration.
BTW, here is your chance to become a DevOps expert by gaining work experience for Free. Know more in the video below,