Let's say you are senior and have a lot of experience and make well above the average salary and you aren't located coastal where everything is in a bubble. Let's take a nice round number, $150,000 salary.
- Max out your 401k. -> 150 - 19 = 131
- Max out your IRA AND your spouse's IRA. -> 131 - 12 = 119
- Max out family HSA. -> 119 - 7 = 112
- Max out ESPP @ 10% of your salary. -> 112 - 15 = 97
- Save $3600/yr for child's college. -> 97,000 - 3600 = 93,400
Wow, 37% ($56,600) of income is going to saving for the future and 68% ($38,000) of that is before taxes.
I was reading this post by Troy Hunt https://www.troyhunt.com/10-personal-finance-lessons-for-technology-professionals/ and I realized I wanted to know my own numbers and so I ran these myself (These are not exactly my numbers).