Hello everyone! As some of you might have seen; I ran a short survey and got about 20 responses. While not a viral survey by any means, I did have a great opportunity to learn a little more about the problem domain I'm looking at. I also learned a little bit about making surveys.
It helped to have a problem domain I wanted to look at. I'm wanting to build some kind of note app, but I didn't really have a good grasp of what problems existed for current systems. I would say it's important not to guide your survey participants in a specific direction.
After about 4 people responded to the survey; I realized that I had a question that was essentially useless. I was worried about breaking the survey link, so I just left the question in there. This probably could have been avoided if I had done a quick survey with a person or two in order to test the usefulness of each question.
I had 11 responses on the first day of the survey, 3 responses on the second, and 7 on the third day. By the 4th day I had no responses and I felt I could see a decent gathering of common information gathered by the survey, so I decided to close it. I had recruited a number of other people to take the survey manually on the 3rd day, which is where the spike came from.
Honestly this was the hardest part. I think a majority of participants for the survey were people I recruited through direct communication. I had the idea of going to local coffee shops and asking the manager if I could conduct the survey but I decided a smaller sample set was okay for this purpose.
Here are the results, they are by no means comprehensive for a large audience, but it's a starting point if you're curious to explore this problem domain a little further!