I want to share advice I shared today to the tech community Code Connector. We are talking about getting accomplishments to put on your resume if you don’t have a tech job. This is relevant to me because not too long ago I was in this position. My advice is:
- Attend a Hackathon. These are great opportunities to show teamwork and a project with a business case.
- Sign up for open source. You can get development experience and practice in a relaxed team environment.
- Ask everyone and anyone for freelance opportunities. I know this may sound bad but it's the experience you want. “ A closed mouth doesn't get fed”.
- Focus on blogging and giving tech talks. It’s not development experience, but it shows progress.
- Give back by teaching. I remember taking the opportunity to teach and it was invaluable to me getting a job later.
- The last thing is to have at least 1-2 really deep personal projects that are public facing (deployed), have impact (no matter how small), and are professional styled (non-tech people will appreciate this).