Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links; I may receive compensation if you purchase products or services from the different links provided in this article.
Java certification is highly regarded in the IT Industry and provides a Java developer with recognition worldwide. It helps to find a better job, get a better salary, and even a better raise or bonus at a current job. That's why thousands of Java developers try to become certified every year, but success is not easy.
There are multiple options to become a certified Java developer in 2022, for example, you can pass OCAJP 8 and OCPJP 8 to become a certified Java developer, or you can pass Oracle Certified Java Developer (1Z0-819) exam to become a certified developer.
I suggest you to go for latest one Java SE 11 certification or 1Z0-819 exam but that's also bit tough and if you have only worked in Java 8 then going for Java SE 8 certification is also a good option.
And, if you can wait, Java SE 17 certification 1Z0-819 is also on the way.
You need in-depth knowledge of the Java language and API to succeed in the exam.
As a note, preparing for OCPJP is not very different from OCAJP, though you have to use resources that are focused only on OCPJP. You also need to cover more topics and more in-depth because OCPJP 8 is certainly a tough nut to crack.
In order to prepare well and get a high score, here are some tips I am going to share. These tips have helped me in the past to score more than 90% on the certifications.
Here is a list of 5 tips to prepare better for Java certification and become a certified Java programmer or Oracle certified Java Professional in 2022:
There is no better way to prepare for Oracle's Java certification than joining a good course. First of all, it's active learning and you learn 80% of important things in just 20% of your time.
I was a big fan of the book and I am still is but in last a few years, online courses have my main source of learning anything.
One reason of that is cost, in recent years, mostly dude to Udemy, cost of online courses has come down a lot and some of the courses are even cheaper than books the key is to find a good course otherwise you would waste your time on course hopping.
When it comes to Oracle's Java certification like OCAJP and OCPJP, Whizlab's OCAJP training course is my favorite.
It provides the most comprehensive coverage and given their experience in the area, you can rest assured of quality. There is also more than 50% discount available on this course for you.
If you are looking for one more option then Oracle Java Certification - Pass the Associate 1Z0-808 Exam! from Udemy is also a good option and you can get it within $10 on flash sale which happens every month.
Similarly, if you are preparing for Java SE 11 certification, here are the recommended online courses for you:
There is no better companion than a good study book if you are preparing for Java certifications. They cover all the exam topics, give practice questions at the end of the chapter, and share a lot of exam-specific tips that you don't find in any normal Java book.
There are a lot of study guides available in the market, but if you are preparing for OCAJP 8 or Java SE 11 certification you can take a look at these resources to find a good study guide.
- List of good study guides for OCAJP 8 (1Z0-808) exam
- List of study guides for OCPJP8 Certification - Java 8 1Z0-809, 810, 813 Exam
- List of study guides for Java SE 11 Certification
- List of Courses for Java SE 11
- List of study guides for OCEJWCD
But if you just need a one book, I highly recommend OCP Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 11 Developer Complete Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-815, Exam 1Z0-816, and Exam 1Z0-817 book by Jeanne Boyarsky (Author), Scott Selikoff (Author) on Amazon.
After choosing a good book or study guide, the next thing you need is a good exam simulator. This is must if you want to score high but not required if you just aim for passing the exam. The exam simulators will help you to develop speed and accuracy required to complete all questions in 2.5 hours.
Here are some of my recommendations for exam simulators:
- Whizlab's Exam Simulator\ These are the best in the market, tried and tested by many developers including myself.
- Enthuware's Practice Test\ That's again second best in my opinion, also very cheap, you can just get it under $10. It's also tried and tested by many certified Java developers
- David Mayer's Practice Test If you need to go the extra mile with your preparation, I suggest you solve the 450+ problems from David Mayer's Test.
- Java Certification: OCA (1Z0--808) Exam Simulation 260+ multiple-choice questions with explanation to assess Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 8 Programmer I preparation
- Java Certification --- OCA (1Z0--808) Topic-wise Tests  Multiple choice questions covering all the exam objectives of Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 8 Programmer I
Btw, if you are buying Whizlab's simulator then you can also use the coupon code "JAVACOMBO2" to get a 25% discount.
Since they provide lifetime access to their simulator, I suggest you buy both OCAJP and OCPJP simulator together and take advantage of this coupon code.
I suggest you to keep doing mock tests until you score 80% on a consistent basis before going for real exam. If you need more choices, here is some more recommendation on exam simulators
- Top 10 OCAJP and OCPJP Exam Simulators for Java Certifications
- Top 5 Java 8 Practice Test and Exam Simulators (OCAJP and OCPJP) - Best of lot
And, if you are preparing for OCJP Java SE 11 Developer certification, here are the recommended mock tests and practice questions:
- OCP Java SE 11 Developer Exam 1Z0-819 Practice Tests 2021
- OCP Java SE 11 Developer 1Z0-819 Practice Exams new 2021!
If you are preparing for Java SE 11 Developer exam, I also have a practice test based course on Udemy where I have shared 250+ questions with explanations for practice
You have to keep yourself motivated and up to date on the exam and other details. With that in mind, there is nothing better than participating in forums like CodeRanch or Oracle's official Java Certification forum. You can ask questions, clear doubts, and become familiar with other candidates who are preparing for exams. You may be able to find some buddies as well who can prepare with you for exams.
Practice makes you perfect, so solve as many as you can. You will slowly develop the speed and accuracy needed for the exam. Here are some free practice tests for the OCPJP exam
- 5 free OCAJP 8/OCPJP 8 mock exams, and practice questions --- 1Z0-808 809 (Java 8 Certification)
- OCAJP 1Z0-808 --- Best books and mock exams for Java 8 OCA certification
- 5 free OCAJP 7 and OCPJP 7 mock exams --- online practice test (1Z0-803 and 1Z0-804
There are many such free exams available and Google is your friend. You can find a lot of them to get started with.
There is no substitute for coding. You must code daily to develop a coding sense, which will help you to read the code given in the real exam. In the case of OCPJP, it becomes even more important because attention to detail is required to understand each coding question before you select options.
All the best for your Java certifications. Make it a goal this year, and you will surely be a certified Java Developer in the next year.
If you want to wait for new Java SE 17 certification, you can also wait but you should start preparation now so that you can cover 90% topics which will most likely remain same.