Since starting as a full time SWE, I've found myself using multiple note-taking apps:
- Notion. Mostly use for meeting notes. I love the organization and search features. I love that you can add attendees and other properties. But the tablet app is painful to use with a stylus. And because it's so structured, I'm less likely to add notes that don't fit in a predefined section.
- Samsung Notes. For daily tasks and reminders. This replaced the Cambridge Quad notebooks I used to buy in bulk. I bought a Samsung tablet, and now I'm stuck. The handwriting recognition is the best of multiple apps I've tried. Unfortunately the people at Samsung make it impossible to access and edit your notes on desktop or the web.
- OneNote. Which I've been trying to use because it's there and easy to save random screenshots to. But the lack of basic editing features and plugins sucks. The forced notebook and page structure is also pretty limiting. I hate clicking around to find notes and the view easily feels cluttered.
- Random sticky notes. For random thoughts, customer service case numbers, git commands to refer back to, etc.
I would love to use one app that does everything these 4 apps do:
- Organize my notes into groups and structures that I can easily search and get back to
- Be workable on tablet. I'm not asking for much here. Just let me take notes. Recognize my handwriting and let me edit on desktop or the web.
- Simple interface that doesn't inhibit random notes or reminders I want to jot down.
Someone suggested Obsidian. Never used it before, but would love to get some feedback from those who have. If there's another app that you swear, please let me know!
Photo by Polina Tankilevitch from Pexels