This is a small post with my thoughts about development opportunities for big screen devices.
I’ve been working with HTML based Smart TV apps for 3 years, and I remember how hard was to get answers to issues I faced. Smart TVs’ marketing wasn’t big enough to companies consider invest money — at least for my experience.
Smart TVs and stick devices (Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, etc.) are increasing as options to spent time watching Netflix (who doesn’t have Netflix in 2019?) and other stream platforms like Amazon Prime.
The number of Wi-Fi homes using a streaming stick or set-top increased by just 1% in the last year, to 49%. The number using a smart TV jumped 5%, to 42%.
And the scenario is not good for Pay TV providers. They lost 1,5mi subscribers past year in United States.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. — representing about 93% of the market — lost about 1,530,000 net video subscribers in 2Q 2019, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 420,000 subscribers in 2Q 2018.
I encourage you to join this opportunity. Broadcasting media industry already have apps for Smart TV nowadays, but I think other kind of industry can get some spot on this wave.
Here is a summarised information about technology the major manufactures are using.
- Operational System: Orsay (legacy) and Tizen
- Reference: https://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop
- Operational System: Netcast (legacy) and webOS
- Reference: http://webostv.developer.lge.com/
- Operational System: Linux and Android TV
- Reference: https://www.android.com/tv/
- Operational System: Linux and FirefoxOS
- Reference: https://developer.vieraconnect.com/
- Operational System: Fire OS (Android based)
- Technology: Android
- Rerefence: https://developer.amazon.com/en/apps-and-games/fire-tv
- Operational System: Roku OS
- Technology: BrightScript
- Reference: https://developer.roku.com/overview
- Operational System: tvOS
- Technology: Swift
- Reference: https://developer.apple.com/tvos/
Hope this post can be useful for you. Send me a message if you want to know more about. I will be happy to talk about. :)