I want your opinion
I've been working as a full-stack developer on mobile and web-based application backed by an API built in Laravel for 2 years.
Fast forward to today we have 3 developers (excluding myself) working on the same code.
- I have a personal desire to shift my work to JS.
- Migrating backend to JS closes the language barrier between frontend and backend devs.
- I can handle testing both frontend and backend with Jest.
- There are a lot more developers for Node and JS than for Laravel.
- JS ecosystem (npm) is much better than PHP's ecosystem.
- Node seems to have a leg up in terms of performance.
- Unfortunately Laravel is cursed by its language of choice (PHP). This scares away a lot of potential new developers.
Note that I run a team and have to retain my employees. I also need to consider what resources are available in case I hire more employees.
The only issue I have is the time and effort I will have to put in to migrate all our work to a new framework. I (and my team) are comfortable with Laravel but want to migrate to NestJS.
I just wanted to get more opinions about whether migrating is a good or bad idea? And do you think it will be worth it in the long run or not?