As we all know data is the backbone and most critical resource of any organization. Every organization must have an accurate and reliable data for effective decision making. In this era of information explosion where people are bombarded with data, getting right information, in the right amount, at right time is not an easy task. Therefore, only those organizations will survive that successfully manage information.
In this blog we will learn:
• Some Basic concepts of DBMS
• What is database management system?
• Types of Databases
• Advantages of DBMS
• Disadvantages of DBMS
Some Basic concepts of DBMS
The term data is defined as the raw facts or details from which information is derived. It may be anything like texts, numbers, images, videos etc.
Data and Information are closely related to each other. Information is data that have been put into meaningful and useful content and communicated to recipient who uses it to make decisions. Data are processed to create information. The recipient receives the information and then makes decisions.
Database is a collection of logically related data stored together that is designed to meet information requirements of an organization.
The example of a database is a employee directory that contains names, salary, birth date, sex and branch name of the employees stored in the computer storage.
What is Database Management system?
Database Management system is a collection of Software application that provides a quick way to access, modify, process, store, control and manage the data. It acts as an interface between the application program and the data stored in the database.
For ex: Oracle, MYSQL, SQL Server.
The DBMS performs the following five major functions:
- Create and organize database: DBMS is creating and managing the complex structures required for data storage, establishes the logical relationship among different data elements in database also define schemas and subschemas using DDL.
- Input data: It performs function like entering the data into the database through an input device with the help of user.
- Process data: It manipulates and process the data stored in database using DML.
- Maintain Security: It allows limited access to the database to authorized user to main security.
- Query database: Provides information to the users for decision making. This information is provided by querying the database using SQL.
Types of Databases:
Some basic types of databases are:
• Relational Databases- In relational database, information is stored in tabular forms or in tables. It depends upon the mathematical concepts of relation.
• NOSQL Databases- It help users create and maintain wide range of data sets. It stores data in the form of Document, graph, Key-value, Hash doc,
• Hierarchical Databases: It is based on tree structure. It consists of collection of records, that are connected to each other by links.
• Network databases: It is based on graph structure. It provides data independence, data integrity and capability to handle more relationship types.
Advantages of DBMS:
• Data redundancy: In a database, the duplication of data can be carefully controlled, the database is aware of redundancy and it vassumes the responsibility for propagating updates.
• Data consistency: Updating multiple files in file system leads to inaccurate data as different files may contain different information of same data item. This causes incorrect or contradictory information to users. So this problem of inconsistent data is automatically solved by controlling redundancy.
• Improved security: It helps protecting the data contained in the database from unauthorized users.
• Sharing of data: The data is centrally controlled and can be shared by all authorized users.
• Improved data integrity: Data integrity means that the data contained in the database is both accurate and consistent. The centralized control property allow adequate checks can be incorporated to provide data integrity.
Disadvantages of DBMS:
• Need for backup and recovery: For a database system to be accurate and all time available, a procedure is required to be developed and used for providing backup copies to all its users when any damage occurs.
• Increases Complexity: The data structure may become more complex because of centralized database supporting many applications in an organization. This may leads to difficulties in management and may require professionals.
• Cost of hardware: The cost of database system’s installation is much more as it depends on environment and functionality,size of hardware and maintenance costs of hardware.
I hope this blog might helped you with “What is dbms?” and has explained you everything regarding it.