In today's post, I will share some ways you can use the Locale Service provided by Appwrite in your next project.
- Appwrite is a Secure Open-Source Backend Server for Web, Mobile & Flutter Developers. It is a self-hosted solution that provides developers with a set of easy-to-use and integrate REST APIs to manage their core backend needs.
- I would recommend to check out the Appwrite Documentation to learn more about Appwrite and various services offered by appwrite.
- In this post, I will introduce the Localization service provided by Appwrite and how we can use it.
- Appwrite provides a Locale API which has multiple features which can be used by us to customize our project based on user's location.
Firstly, we can use the locale service provided by Appwrite to get the current location of the user including the country code, country name, continent name, continent code, IP address and suggested currency. Learn More.
Also, we can use the Locale API provided by Appwrite to obtain the following data -
- Get the list of all the countries of the world.
- Get the list of all the EU countries.
- Get the list of all the countries phone codes.
- Get the list of all the currencies used across the world.
- Get the list of all the languages used across the world.
- Get the list of all the continents.
Isn't this cool 😎 and now I will share some great project ideas in which you can integrate Appwrite's Locale service easily.
- When people go to different tourist places, they do a wide range of activities and visit many places, in case you are confused about what you should do, wouldn't it be cool to know what other's are doing or what are they visiting. For this, we can make a social network application where people can share their travel experiences and based on user's location, only posts based on that location will be shown, thus telling the user what other's are exploring.
- In order to implement this, we can use the Appwrite Locale API, to get the user's location.
- We can build a recommendation app based on user's location. The app can either recommend the nearest hotel, restaurant, or even the nearest store.
- In order to implement this, we can use the Appwrite Locale API, to get the user's location and recommend the nearest places based on that.
- We can build a weather forecast app that tells about the current weather at that place based on user's location.
- We can easily get the current location of user using the Appwrite's service.
- We can use any weather API and pass the current location to get the current weather conditions.
- We can build a translator app to convert text/speech from one language to the other.
- For displaying the list of languages, rather than mentioning every language, we can directly use Appwrite's API service to get the list.
- Similarly, we can build a Currency Convertor App, to convert amount from one currency to another and use Appwrite's API service to display the list of all the currencies.
And many more, the ideas are limitless, in this post I have just tried recommending few ideas you can implement.
In case if you have any queries or want to learn more, I would also recommend joining Appwrite's discord community — Discord Link