Usman here. I'm pleased to share a side project I've been working on since the beginning of the year. It's probably the only new year (2019) goal I've completed. 😇
Anyway, the project is named Schdlr, pronounced "Scheduler", It's a mobile application designed to share events (schedules) with family, friends, and colleagues. A schedule in this context could be a meetup group, calendar, timetable, etc. It works both offline and online.
- Follow schedules of interest
- Event offline reminders
- Create recurring events
- Real-time updates on events
- Communicate with event participants
I built it completely with ReactNative and AWS, and one of the challenges I faced was learning AWS, Yeah it has a somewhat steep learning curve for someone with zero AWS knowledge but everything starts to make sense after a month or so, especially while having great community support (thanks @dabit3 ). One of my main objectives was following industry standard and I have to say, some days I feel like a big fraud and question my career choice. Overall I'm happy with this project and I look forward to 2020.
Please give it a try and tell me what you think. It's currently available only on Android,😞 IOS version will be coming soon. Thank you!
- No notification sound in some devices. Not sure if it's an android or module problem.
- Sometimes AdMob delivers the wrong banner size. Still trying to figure it out. I try to keep Ads very minimal and unobtrusive.
- I'm still new to AWS pricing, so I've limited file upload size to 8mb.