Next.js is a popular React framework that enables developers to build fast and scalable web applications with ease. It has gained significant attention from the developer community due to its intuitive development process and ability to handle server-side rendering. However, mastering Next.js requires practice, and what better way to do that than to work on real-world projects.
In this article, we'll explore 5 practical projects that will help you hone your Next.js skills.
The prevalence of streaming applications in our daily lives has significantly transformed our entertainment habits and revolutionized the way we consume movies and TV shows. Moreover, for those seeking to enhance their technical proficiency, building a streaming application presents an excellent opportunity to develop a practical real-world project.
For your initial project, I challenge you to construct a replica of your preferred streaming platform while adhering to the following guidelines:
A user must be authenticated to see all the movies available in the application. You can use next-auth library to handle it.
When a trailer is available, the user should be able to watch it on the movie page.
All the images must be served using Next.js’ component.
Suppose you are a professional developer tasked with building a blogging website that integrates Next.js with a headless CMS, specifically Hygraph ( previously GraphCMS ). As part of your assignment, you must comply with the following guidelines:
- You must use TailwindCSS or Chakra UI for styling the UI.
- You must use TypeScript for coding the application.
- Every blog page must be statically rendered at build time.
- The UI must be as similar as possible to your favorite blog. ( Dev.to or Tealfeed )
- Users can log in and save articles into a reading list.
- All the images must be served using Next.js’ component.
- SEO is essential. It must achieve more than 95% Lighthouse SEO score
Undoubtedly, this task is one of the most convincing demonstrations of Next.js’ capabilities. Your challenge is to create a real-time chat application that incorporates the following functionalities:
- There must be multiple chat rooms.
- People can join any room by just inserting their name; no login is required.
- When people enter a room, they can access the full chat room history.
- Communication must be in real-time.
- Don’t use third-party libraries like TalkJs to integrate the real-time functionality.
The next project on this list is an image-sharing social media website like Instagram. Here are some of the key features and challenges to consider:
- Real-time updates: A social media website requires real-time updates to keep users engaged. Next.js can be combined with a real-time database like Firebase to create real-time updates for likes, comments, and shares.
- Image management: An image-sharing website involves managing and storing images on a large scale. You must consider image optimization, compression, and loading times to ensure a fast and efficient user experience.
- User authentication and security: User authentication and security are critical features in social media websites. You must ensure that the website is secure and user data is protected. Next.js provides authentication and security features such as CSRF token handling and server-side rendering.
Building a website for natural language processing (NLP) using Next.js comes with unique features and challenges that developers must consider. One of the main challenges is the need to efficiently handle large volumes of data, as NLP applications often require processing of vast amounts of text.
- User interface: The website’s interface should be intuitive and user-friendly, enabling users to interact with NLP algorithms easily.
- Text pre-processing: The initial step in NLP is to pre-process the text, which involves removing stop words, tokenizing, and stemming. Next.js can integrate with NLP libraries like NLTK and SpaCy to facilitate text pre-processing.
- Algorithm selection: You must choose the right NLP algorithm for the task at hand. Next.js provides a flexible and scalable platform that can integrate with a wide range of NLP libraries and tools, including OpenNLP, Gensim, and TensorFlow.
- Security: NLP websites must handle sensitive data, and security is a critical feature.
The real-world applications outlined in this article, such as building a streaming service clone or an image-sharing social media website, provide developers with a comprehensive set of challenges and features to build upon their Next.js skills. With the right combination of tools and techniques, you can leverage Next.js to create web applications that meet the requirements of real-world scenarios.
THANK YOU FOR READING
I hope you found this little article helpful. Please share it with your friends and colleagues. Sharing is caring.
Want to work together? Contact me on Upwork!