What I built
Hey there people on the web. I hope everyone is building marvelous stuff for this amazing hackathon and I am looking forward to seeing a lot of cool projects. Let me tell you a little bit about my project.
Random Roulette 🕹️
This is the room choosing screen:
This is the screen of the game before it starts:
This is the 'discuss' round where everyone discusses who to vote for to put in jail.
This is what all the players see when it's the medic's round (explanation of the rules in the description):
Oh, and here is a little gif of my opening animation:
The game is simply a murder mystery. I doubt it if the majority of the players haven't played this format before.
The game is a murder mystery game where there are 1 hacker, 1 firewall, and the rest are sysadmins. The goal of the game is to catch the hacker through discussion after each round. If the hacker manages to hack all players, he wins. If the sysadmins manage to catch the hacker throughout the game, they win.
What do the rounds consist of:
Each round consists of 4 stages:
- Stage 1 - The screen for all players, except for the hacker becomes black and he chooses his target.
- Stage 2 - The screen for all players, except for the firewall becomes black and he chooses who to defend.
- Stage 3 - The screen for all players comes clean and the results of the hacking appear. If the firewall managed to defend the target, nobody is hacked. If, however, the firewall does not manage to defend the target, the avatar of the player who is hacked is marked with skull and bones and is therefore hacked. Everyone then chooses who to eject from the game, based on the discussion around who the hacker is. If there is a majority of votes towards one player, he goes to jail and is therefore ejected.
- Stage 4 - Everybody has a little time to think over what happened and the stages loop throughout the next rounds.
Link to Source Code
I was heavily inspired by Among Us (predictable, eh?) and I also remember playing this particular format of murder mystery games with a group of friends.
How I built it
I've been working as a sysadmin for 1 year and as you can imagine, development is not one of my strong sides. Having that in mind, I am amazed by how easy DigitalOcean's app platform is. I am so glad I don't have to deal with server stuff and have the ability to deploy my app with a click of a button. It's superb, really!
I also want to thank everyone who is posting answers on the internet, as I would not be able to finish this journey without you all. Thank you.
The game is being built with:
- DigitalOcean's APP platform
- Bootstrap for grinding
P.S. Initially, the name of my submission was 'Murders in the ocean' but after long thinking, I thought hackers VS admins is a better theme for a hackathon.
Top comments (9)
Yeah! I saw a hint about this on GitHub. Can't wait to see how this turns out. 🔥
Great job so far! Looks amazing! 🙌
This is super cool and SO creative, Denislav!
Thanks, Gracie. Still a long way to go tho... But I'm on it!! 👀
Wow, I love deduction games like this!! Great job with it ☺️
Thanks man, it was a bumpy ride!
P.S. Psst, people, there is now a 'deploy to DO' button! 🤫