Completing this was kind of a big deal for me. I had been away from the curriculum for a few months. I found the courage to face this project (and the lab/lesson immediately preceding it) by starting from scratch. After completing the JS and jQuery sections in Codecademy, and faithfully following along with Gordon Zhu’s Watch & Code (which, literally changed my life!) I finally started to feel comfortable enough to start thinking in JS.
For some reason, I decided it would be a good learning experience for me to complete all the requirements for this project without jQuery, and use only vanilla JS. My AJAX functions are a little verbose, as a result, but at this stage, it helps me conceptualize what’s happening at a more granular level to have to manage things like attaching CFRS tokens to a ‘post’ request.
And, since December of 2017 (when I completed the Rails version of this project), my Twitter OmniAuth strategy broke. Their implementation became more complex since I was away, so for now I’m making due with Facebook (I resented a little bit having to sign in and get dragged down that rabbit-hole), but, it was important to get it working again for morale purposes.
Originally published at donnacodes.com on August 5, 2018.