A DevOps Engineer is a professional who understands the software development lifecycle, works with software developers, system administrators, and operations to oversee code releases using various automation tools for developing continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipeline.
A DevOps professional should show a variety of both soft skills and technical skills.
Soft skills include:
- Strong interpersonal skill
- Openness to feedback
- Growth mindset
- Team player attitude
Technical skills include:
- Good knowledge of source code management (version control systems like Git and GitHub).
- Proficient in developing Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) pipelines.
- Knowledge of operating systems (Linux and Windows).
- Knowledge and experience with CI/CD automation tools like Jenkins.
- Knowledge and experience with cloud providers like Azure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Google Cloud Platform(GCP).
- Knowledge of programming/scripting in an object-oriented or scripting language.
- Knowledge of automating infrastructure, writing Infrastructure as Code (IaC) using tools like Azure Resource Manager (ARM) template and Terraform.
- Knowledge of Configuration Management and Deployment tools like Ansible, Chef, and Puppet.
- Knowledge of Continuous Monitoring tool like Nagios.
There are roles and responsibilities that revolve around the DevOps philosophy.
- Site Reliability Engineer
- DevOps Architect
- Integration specialist
- Release manager
- Automation Engineer
DevOps is a relatively new topic and there is a lot of innovation around it. DevOps will continue to evolve with the software industry. According to businesswire, the global DevOps market was valued at US$3.832 billion in 2019 and is expected to continue showing solid growth over the next years. Hence, there will be a lot of opportunities for professionals seeking to start a career in DevOps.
Are you seeking to start a career in DevOps, well, you are not alone? Here is a list of platforms that have helped me through my personal self-study.
- Azure DevOps
- AWS DevOps
- KodeKloud Engineer
- LinkedIn Learning
I hope to share in your testimonies as you begin or progress in your DevOps career. Please be kind enough to share and comment on your opinions. We grow by learning from one another’s experiences.
** Thank you for reading. **