There is a different way of authentication to Kubernetes based on different cloud provider implementations. I will specifically discuss authentication implemented by AWS EKS. This article should clarify the following questions.
- How authentication works in EKS?
- What is AWS IAM Authenticator for Kubernetes?
- What does “aws eks get-token” do in KubeConfig to access EKS cluster?
- What is “aws-auth” Configmap in EKS?
- How can I add AWS users/roles to access EKS cluster?
- How do AWS users/roles map to Kubernetes users and groups in EKS?
- How do I generate KubeConfig for EKS cluster?
- How do users get authorized to perform specific Kubernetes actions?
Take a look at this article to find detailed explanation with hands-on use case - https://betterprogramming.pub/kubernetes-authentication-in-aws-eks-using-iam-authenticator-de3a586e885c?source=friends_link&sk=fce36cdc7bbc7de2c9a39f73f013922b