Why smart engineers write bad code
We’re talking with Adam Barr, a 23 year Microsoft veteran, about his book “The problem with software,” sub-titled “Why smart engineers write bad code.” We examine that very idea, the gap between industry and academia, and more importantly what we can do to get a better feedback loop going between them.
Linode – Our cloud server of choice. Deploy a fast, efficient, native SSD cloud server for only $5/month. Get 4 months free using the code
changelog2018. Start your server - head to linode.com/changelog
- Clubhouse – The first project management platform for software development that brings everyone on every team together to build better products. Get an extra two months free - head to clubhouse.io/changelog
- Raygun – The Raygun platform let’s you see a complete picture of your software health in one place by monitoring every part of your software stack in one tool. Bring your whole team together and break down the walls between your monitoring tools. Do it all in one fully integrated platform. Learn more at raygun.com/platform.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com.
- Adam Barr – Twitter
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub, Website
Notes and Links
- The Problem with Software on The MIT Press
- Lambda School
- Bradfield School of Computer Science
- Law of Demeter
- Strange Loop
- Association for Computing Machinery