You can restore accidentally deleted Amazon EBS snapshots with the
Recycle Bin feature. If your resources are deleted, they are retained in the Recycle Bin for a time period that you specify before being permanently deleted.
You can restore a resource from the recycle bin at any time. If you restore a resource from the Recycle Bin, it will be removed from the Recycle Bin and you can use it the same way you use any other resource in your account. The resource is deleted from the recycle bin if the retention period is not renewed.
Using Recycle Bin helps to make sure
business continuity via defending your business-critical facts in opposition to unintentional deletion.
In order to use Recycle Bin, you have to create
retention rules in the regions where you want to protect your resources. Retention rules can be found here.
- You want to protect the resource type.
- When resources are deleted, you want to keep them in the recycle bin.
- Resources can be retained in the recycle bin before they are deleted.
two types of retention rules with Recycle Bin.
Resource tags are used to identify resources that will be retained in the recycle bin. You specify one or more tag key and value pairs for each retention rule. Resources of the specified type that are tagged with at least one of the tag key and value pairs are automatically retained in the recycle bin. If you want to protect specific resources in your account, use this type of retention rule.
Resource tags are not specified in a Region-level retention rule. Even if the resources are not tagged, it applies to all of them. If you want to protect resources in a specific region, use this type of retention rule.
The resource remains in the Recycle Bin till one of the following happens:
- You restore it manually. When you restore a resource from the Recycle Bin, it is immediately available for use. You can use restored resources the same way as other resources in your account.
- The retention period is over. The resource can no longer be viewed or restored if the retention period is over.
Resource types supported by Recycle Bin are
- Amazon EBS snapshots
- Amazon EBS-backed Amazon Machine Images (AMIs)
The Recycle Bin has resources billed at their standard rates. There are no charges for using recycle bin and retention rules.
Gratitude for perusing my article till the end. I hope you realized something unique today. If you enjoyed this article then please share it with your buddies and if you have suggestions or thoughts to share with me then please write in the comment box.