An integration that allows reviewing and commenting on a GitHub Pull Request via Fax
COVID-19 Communications, Interesting Integrations, Exciting X-Factors
GitHub Fax PR Reviews
And integration to allow reviewing and commenting on pull requests via fax.
- Must have a Twilio Account, and a fax capable phone number (instructions available as part of fax quickstart)
- Must have a Microsoft Cognitive Services Computer Vision resource set up (can be done as part of the Azure free tier)
- Must have a semi recent version of Node installed (built on v13.9.0)
- Must have a GitHub account and at least one repository
- Download repository
cp .env.example .envto create new
- Fill in env variables in
.envfile from your Twilio account
npm startto run locally
- Use ngrok to expose the page
- In your Twilio Console, edit the fax capable number you're using to send
- Change it to Accept Incoming Faxes (will likely be Voice Calls by default)
Built on Express using Node JS, using the Twilio Fax API, Microsoft's Cognitive Services Computer Vision API and GitHub's API
When a pull request is opened on GitHub, it triggers a webhook to fire. That webhook generates a PDF with information about the PR and sends it via fax.
Comments can be written on the fax, and faxed back, which when received, sends the fax PDF to Microsoft's Cognitive Services Computer Vision to read the text in the PDF. Using the information taken from the fax, a comment is added to the pull request on GitHub.
Live Demo also available on request (not hosted, running locally on my computer, but can be set up to demo)