What is Multi Tenancy ?
It sounds like a big big word but its explanation is quite simple.
SO what it is !!!
According to wikipedia,
"The term "software multitenancy" refers to a software architecture in which a single instance of software runs on a server and serves multiple tenants. Systems designed in such manner are often called shared (in contrast to dedicated or isolated)."
Simply said it is a software architecture pattern where a single application is shared by multiple customers and they own separate databases.
It is quite common for many businesses to use Single Tenant approach. So what is that?
In simple words, Single Tenancy is where a single application has a single customer.
Now comes the point what does multi tenancy provides us that single tenancy does not and vice versa :
- Multi tenancy reduces the cost
- Adding new customers becomes easy
- Maintaining the same application becomes easier
- Also it maximizes resource usage
On the other hand,
- Single tenancy provides an option for customization where in single tenants can customize their app according to their needs.
- Single tenants can decide what option or update to they want for their product.
Obviously there is no preference guideline to choose between the two as it truly depends on the requirement.
The goal of this small article was to make familiar with both the options we have.
Hope it helps !