Recruiters, and HR, please take note.
I understand this language may have burned you, chewed you up, and made your life utterly miserable a decade ago.
This is not an acceptable excuse for attempting to hire a developer and stagnating their career progression with your outdated tech stack.
If Internet Explorer 11 and below are a required target, you better prepare to offer higher compensation for outdated technology.
Junior devs to-be,
If you are working heavily with ES2015 syntax and front-end frameworks, you are no longer just a 'front-end web developer'. You are an application developer. Don't let anyone try to cut corners with job descriptions.
However, job descriptions are just the beginning. You need to press the topic during the interviewing process if you have any doubt.
Legacy code is real, and you need to ask if you'll be spending 90% of your time in jQuery-land or what you thought you signed up for instead.
"I saw jQuery and React on the job posting, are you transitioning to React"?
"The interview question/tests are using some older syntax, is this indicative of your current codebase"?
Anyways, I scoured a job board to find a list of good and questionable job descriptions. Notice a common key-word in each of the good descriptions. If there is no mention of ES2015 (ES6) or higher, then you need to go on the offensive during the interviewing process.
- Efficient DOM manipulation.
- Component architecture using AngularJS or ReactJS/Redux.
- Less dependent on third party ibraries.
- Web: HTML(5), CSS(3), BootStrap/Foundation,
- 2+ years of professional HTML/CSS experience, including concepts like layout, specificity, cross browser compatibility, and accessibility
- Direct experience with professional software development practices, including coding standards, source control (Git), code reviews, build processes, and testing
- Passionate and fast learner
- Expert with HTML5, CSS and modern web design standards
Intermediate - Senior Level
- Must have excellent background and understanding of HTML5, CSS3, SVG, ReactJS, Web Socket and Canvasas as well as Client-side Java Script.
- Several client-side frameworks and build tools (ReactJS, jQuery, Less/Sass, Grunt/Gulp, etc).
- Database-driven web applications
- REST APIs.
- Bash (linux or Mac)
- Security best practices & familiarity with:
- Relational Databases (SQL & PL/SQL)
- Web Services
- 3rd Party APIs: Twitter,Facebook, Google Maps, etc
- Knowledge of common content management systems iOS and/or Android native development experience a plus
- Comfort with Agile and Waterfall development methodologies
- Minimum of 3 years work experience as a web developer/programmer
- Solid exposure to front-end technologies is required:
- HTML-3+ years of experience
- CSS-3+ years of experience
- PHP-3+ years of experience
- Netsuite SuiteCommerce Development Certification a plus
- Proficient in bootstrap and/or other responsive frameworks.
- WordPress development (Installation, customization, and updating) a must-have.
- Comfortable in Photoshop/Illustrator to slice and create images. 1 – 3 years of experience.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or similar, preferred but not required.