Plugins: as many as you need, but no more than necessary.
Before looking for a plugin, I ask myself:
1) How do you code it yourself?
2) Is it worth the time to learn a fix?
I usually put a time limit, if I'm not getting somewhere in 30 minutes with this problem, move on.
3) Will this plugin fix other problems?
I recently used a date plugin because dates are nasty to work with. Life got better.
4) Does the plugin really save time?
If you spend hours fighting with a plugin, find another solution.
5) How many moving parts does this project have, should we add more?
The more plugins you have, the more likely there is to be a conflict... with code you didn't write.
We're a place where coders share, stay up-to-date and grow their careers.
We strive for transparency and don't collect excess data.