The COMPRESS windows command-line tool is to compress one or more files.
CMD Line is a text-based interface that transfers the command from the user to the OS.
The command-line interpreter (CLI) for windows is CMD.EXE. Also, you can use PowerShell which can automize many system administration tasks and these tasks are not approachable in command prompt. With the help of the CLI, you can communicate with your system by typing the text in commands. As a result, your system answers to the text that you have typed previously, and then the user can proceed with the next command line that shows up.
Run command window helps you to run programs, open the files and folders. And there are several ways to open up the run command dialog box. This run command box is useful for you to head straight to the destined program easily.
By using the Keyboard shortcut Key:
The shortcut key method to the run command box is the most commonly used one. Also, this method is in all versions of Windows. You need to press the Windows+ R key concurrently to open the Run command dialog box.
The Compress windows command line tool compresses one or more files.
COMPRESS [-R] [-D] [-S] [-Z | -ZX] Source Destination COMPRESS -R [-D] [-S] [-Z | -ZX] Source [Destination]
- -R – Renames the compressed files.
- -D – Updates the compressed files only if out of date.
- -S – Suppresses the copyright information.
- -ZX – LZX compression. This is default compression.
- -Z – MS-ZIP compression.
- Source – Source file specification. Wildcards can be used.
Destination – Destination file | path specification.
- Destination can be a directory.
- If the source is a Multiple file and if -r is not defined. Destination must be a Directory.
COMPRESS demo.txt compressed.txt COMPRESS -R *.* COMPRESS -R *.exe *.dll compressed_dir
In this article, we have seen the COMPRESS windows command-line tool , which is used to compress one or more files. If you have any suggestions are queries, let us know in the comment section.
- CON CON means console. And the console is an input/output device. This console is not a command. Read further for a detailed explanation with examples.
- BITSADMIN The BITSADMIN command-line tool manages the background intelligent transfer service.
- COMPRESS The COMPRESS, a window command-line tool, which is used to compress one or more files.
- CD This windows command-line tool changes the directory and moves to the specific folder. CHDIR is the equivalent word of CD.
- CMD CMD windows command is to start a new shell in a command or executable program.