Microsoft conducts an Intern Engage Program for 2nd year students to provide a platform for engineering students to accelerate their growth and foster industry-relevant skills through mentorship, coding challenges, workshops and networking opportunities.
Through this program , Microsoft provides problem statements on which mentees have to make a product as a solution to the problems.
On the basis of your product, they will you provide a Direct Internship Offer or Interview Round for Internship.
So, if you are in 2nd year, this is a must-apply opportunity for you.
I got to know about this opportunity through LinkedIn. I kept an eye on some of the content creators, who cleared the engage program.
Tip : Follow Arsh Goyal Youtube Channel for more such opportunities.
Students graduating in 2024 enrolled in a full-time engineering program Bachelors, Masters, Integrated Dual Degree & related degrees.
6 CGPA and above.
Rounds For Selection
- There are three elimination rounds :
- Resume Shortlisting ( Resume is taken into consideration for proceeding to the first round.)
- Online MCQ Round ( It contains 10 MCQ questions based on DSA to be solved within 30 minutes.[Level - Easy])
- Algorithmic Round (This round consists of a single Algorithmic Puzzle which was of descriptive type. [Level - Easy to Medium])
Make your resume strong :
So, from POV of a second year, it would contain some experience and good projects.
(In my case , I added my open source contribution as an experience and I was having some Blockchain projects so added them as well.)
Add all the achievements you have till date.
Here, I would say, your ranks in contest , any hackathon you have won.
Coming to Online Test part.
I prepared from GFG DSA MCQ questions, it had a good amount of DSA mcq's based on easy to hard level.
Topics : Whole DSA. (Not some particular ones.)
Round 2 Algorithmic Part
Here too, I prepared from GFG Algorithmic puzzles (GFG Is Love). So, you should explain your solution, how it is working and how are you coming up to the solution.
Note: They say that each round they will consider your overall profile.
So, Congratulations, if you made it so far.
In the mentorship program, you will be assigned a mentor, this year , I was assigned one a bit late. Don't worry if u don't get a mentor, it takes time.
There will be different AMA sessions where you can ask your doubts and some survey quizzes.
There will be meetings on the work culture of Microsoft and algorithms too.
And Main Part - You will be provided three problem statements where you have to build a solution for the same as a product/application.
In my case, all the statements were based on AI/ML domain.
It was a really amazing one-month journey of all ups and downs, motivation-demotivation for me.
AI/ML was completely new domain for me. (Blockchain Supremacy)
So, I took Face Recognition as a problem statement.
Now, I had to build something out of the box.(Try Hard Guy) I took help of my seniors for ideas.
- So, my first week went on searching for ideas and how to implement it. Got a lot of ideas, but implementation was quite hard.
- In second week, I was completely demotivated coz of errors and other issues. I thought I can't do it.
- In third week, my senior gave me an idea, so I gave a last try.(Ye hua toh thik nhi to bhaad me jaaye.)
- The idea was to make A Video Meet App where users can enter after successful image verification. Idea was cool , so I started working on it. I used to keep each and every Tech Stack Standard (like ReactJS, MongoDB, Python, Flask, Twilio API).
- I think I can write another article regarding my project.
- So, after struggling a lot, fixing bugs and checking face images of my friends day nd night. Finally, I built it.
- I uploaded my project on my Github Repo.(Face-Meet)
- Remember to make a really nice video and the documentation. You can refer from mine. On submission day too, I couldn't complete my sleep. Next day was my college internals.(Bohot julm hai yaar)
I was playing Valorant with my friends and got a message Engage Results are out. I left everything and sat down with my phone. A mail popped up. It said "Congratulations on the Microsoft SWE Internship Opportunity." I couldn't believed that, literally cried after that. Shouted in my corridor.
I was so happy that I couldn't sleep that night.
So, this my experience with Engage Program.
Don't feel sad, if you couldn't make it, there are many opportunities coming for you ;).