Okay, Cyber Security!!!. A lot of us have heard the word Cyber Security and I'm pretty sure only few know what it really means and what it entails. Many people refer to Cyber Security as hacking but that is not the case. Let's get down to what is Cyber Security, what it entails and how to get started.
Cyber Security refers to the act of defending networks, devices, data and software from malicious attacks, damages or unauthorized access. Most people confuse Information Security and Cyber Security.
Information Security is the process of securing information data from unauthorized access or leak regardless of being digital or analogue, while Cyber Security on the other hand is the protection of data, software and servers in the Cyberspace. Cyber there referring to thing connected to the internet
Please note that Cyber Security is a body meaning that it contains different components.
- Application Security
- Network Security
- Critical Infrastructure Security
- Cloud Security
Listed above are the types of Cyber Security we have each having a broad field of implementation.
- Security Analyst
- Security Architect
- Security Administrator
- Security Software Developer
- Security Consultant
Cyber Security is a very nice field to go into and with huge demand in the market also with a very good pay. The more things are becoming digital the more the demand for Cyber Security, but with such broad field in Cyber Security, how would one get started?. Well i laid down some steps [Not professional but is sure to work for anyone that follows it. 😅 worked for me though.]
Note that these steps are from the ground up and the good news is they work provided you are dedicated, hardworking and have lots of study time 😅.
- Step 1 - Getting to know Cyber Security by reading more of my article😅.
- Step 2 - Pick up a field of Choice. [This would make you more focused in your journey.
- Step 3 - Learn a Programming Language, I know programming is not a must in most areas of Cyber Security but knowing it is a huge bonus to you in the field of Cyber Security
- Participate in Hackathons, this would help you network and solve real world problems
- Begin a Project related to your chosen field
- Enroll in a course - Well this works very well but [yes there is a but], you have to up your game and work really hard if not you won't gain much from a course. If you need a Cyber Security course to enroll in, you can enroll in mine by click on this link.
- Practice! Practice!! Practice!!! - Yes you have to practice to be good at anything and Cyber Security is no different. Spend time studying, asking questions and reading articles like mine 😉 [Every Mondays].
- Look out for a mentor - This would really help you and is really helpful, search for a mentor and follow his/her lead.
That's it guys until next time, I hope this was really helpful and would love to hear from you guys.