The project's name is a pun for "bike exchange" in Italian.
This started as a university project for my Software Engineering class.
The prof teaching this class is really good at what he does, the material taught is a lot of super interesting insight into design patterns and the process of software development, and you have to turn in a 100-page document chock full of UML before you get your hands dirty building a software solution with a front- and back-end as well as comprehensive deployment documentation.
We all know that college projects run a pretty high risk of being boring and this was no exception: most students end up just developing the exact same MVC CRUD app in Java for the umpteenth time.
Now, I openly dislike front-end development and - though a bit less - object-oriented programming.
They're just too far from both maths and metal for my liking.
That said, me and my two classmates working on this all knew we weren't going to turn a hundred Visio diagrams into any super-hacky assembly stuff that could run on a toaster any time soon, so we at least decided to engineer something that actually comes out of 2020.
Back-end code had to be Java or C#, but we could choose any architecture we wanted.
We ended up designing and are now developing a REST API running on Microsoft Azure App Services, interfacing with an Azure SQL database.
We had more freedom for the front-end, so we made a web GUI using HTML/CSS/jQuery. Yay for responsiveness, portability, and full-stack learning!
We had to turn in our unit tests before we could start working on the code, so our whole development sprint is being as test-driven as it gets.
We used BetterCodeHub to help understand how to make our code the most elegant possible.
I started getting into UX design a while ago - just design, mind you! - so I designed the UI myself using Figma.
I am fully convinced I still have a long way to go in UX design, but hey, I'm in computer engineering after all.
Unfortunately university policy forbids us from releasing the code before the professor is done with the evaluation, which will take a while, but we will release it ASAP after everything is done.
In the meantime, here are my UI mock-ups (in Italian)!
I want to learn how to make quick prototypes with Bravo Studio, to avoid getting bogged down in front-end dev and be able to focus on design and back-end, so I'll keep working on these with Figma.
Designers and engineers, let me know what you think!
Update: We published the code on GitHub!