If you're a beginner taking your first step into a SQL course or just want a list of videos, cheat sheets, and resources to refer back to, these links cover everything you need to get started.
What makes a good Data Analyst? - Being an Analyst is more than making graphs and number crunching. Analysts also need to tell stories with data, be creative problem solvers and communicate well with stakeholders.
Code Academy - Learn SQL - This is a great place to start to understand what a database is, and the basics of how we can use SQL to interact with the it. It's all done in the browser with lots of examples so no need to download software or files.
- Learn Basic SQL in 10 Minutes (video 9:35)
- SQL Series: Relational Database Fundamentals (post)
- How to Make the Leap from Excel to SQL (post)
- SQL Cheat Sheet
- SQL Reference Guide
- SQL Data Types (post)
- SQL Series: Five SQL Tips (post)
- SQL Series: All about SQL JOINs (post)
- Cool Public Datasets and Lots of Ideas for Exploring Them (post)
- Tutorials for SQL Server Management Studio (tutorial and SSMS download)
- SQL Series: Speed up your queries with Indexes (post)
- SQL Series: Making the most of SSMS (post)
- SQL Series: Why you should use SQL CTEs (post)
- Everything you need to know about Relational Databases (post)
- Caleb Curry's SQL Server Complete Series (playlist)
- SQL Series: Datamarts, Data Vault, Data Lake... Data Swamp? (post)
- Databases the SQL (podcast)
Being a great data analyst is more than just churning out SQL and knowing your way around the database. It's important to learn how to listen to stakeholders and determine what it is they need from a report or dashboard ... not what they think they need. You don't need to be a BA or Project Manager, but having the skills to gather requirements is beneficial.
- Requirements Gathering Process Flow (post)
- Requirement Gathering Techniques (post)
- How to Develop the Five Soft Skills That Will Make You a Great Analyst (post)
- Veruca Salt And The Just Give Me Everything Routine (post)
- Stopping The Unending Creep Of The Unspecified Scope (post)
Just pulling a data set out of the database isn't the end of the job. Interpreting the story behind the numbers and bringing it to life is just as important.
- 5 Best Practices for Data Visualisation (post)
- Thoughts on Dashboard Design (post)
- 11 Data Visualisation Experts Who Will Constantly Inspire You (post)
- Data Visualisation Catalogue
- Visualisation decision tree
- Presentation Tips for Data Professionals (post)
Just because you are moving into the world of SQL and queries doesn't mean you won't need to update your Excel toolkit. It's used across organisations big and small and will most likely be your visualisation tool if your workplace doesn't have a speciality tool.
Check out Joel's video for a refresher on the basics and best practices, it's one of my favourites.
- You Suck at Excel with Joel Spolsky (video 54:00)
- Excel Series: Formulas and Functions (post)
- Excel Series: Pivot Tables and Tools (post)
- Excel functions list (post)
This post first appeared on helenanderson.co.nz
Photo by Pixabay on Pexels