It's a thought-provoking episode relating to management and what behaviours managers should and shouldn't exhibit to motivate engineering teams. Should they completely shelter the team from the noise one level up? Should they be engineers themselves or do 'career managers' command the same respect?
- Should they have some engineering knowledge?
- Should they be able to do what you do so they appreciate what you do?
- Do you want them to shelter you from the management levels above you or would you prefer to know the details?
- Do you like more of a project manager or someone who can roll up their sleeves and pair program with you if the time comes?
- Do you want a friend or someone who sits one step away from the team?