DEV Community

gus
gus

Posted on • Updated on

Hacktoberfest 1

This month I'm working on participating in Hacktoberfest, starting with contributing to a roguelike game called Pataro built on the libtcod roguelike development library. I chose to work on adding a serialization mechanism to save the player's progress and so far it's involved a lot of new and challenging processes. I haven't completed my work yet but wanted to start sharing progress on my learning and status.

I started by selecting projects that looked viable at the start of the month, looking for issues with the hacktoberfest tag written in C++. I found a few, including this one, and asked to be assigned to the issues. I decided to start with this one as it seemed more manageable than some of the others.

The first step was to do some research into how to work on projects like this. I've worked with npm in the past in web development but working in C++ is a far cry from that. First got a program called vcpkg to get the necessary dependencies for the project, as well as CMake to generate the Visual Studio project for Pataro. I downloaded libtcod and cloned Pataro into that subdirectory.

Image description

Following the instructions in the repo, I tried the command line arguments but was unsuccessful, and some classmates told me to just go run the script and install manually which I did. With the dependencies in place, I ran the cmake build line but ran into more issues.

Image description

After doing some investigating it looked like I needed to specify the version of Visual Studio I was targeting (2019), as well as which platform (Windowsx64).

Image description

After my prof gave me the proper argument to use (-A x64 rather than -A "win64") I was able to make the project. Now I'm researching how to include the relevant dependency (cereal) and integrate it into the program to save the necessary information. More on that to come soon!

Discussion (0)