I am starting to work on a new project for a Smart Home UI and I was considering streaming live my coding sessions for a couple of reasons:
- to show how to write web based components (using zuix.js library) and so add more usage examples to zuix.js itself
- testing and showing components applied to a real and a simple Smart Home setup (which is my home =))
- having a chance to speak and improve my English =)) and meeting new developers and enthusiasts interested about the topic
- designing with you, real-time by listening to feedback and suggestions while coding
So I was wondering if there's anyone interested in a series of live streams about this work in progress, web based, Smart Home Dashboard?
About my Smart Home setup:
- X10 dimmers, switches and sensors
- Z-Wave dimmers, switches and sensors
- Philips Hue color bulbs
- Raspberry Pi with:
- custom GPIO expansion module with temperature, light sensing and IR transceiver
- RGB color LEDs array used for real time feedback and ambient lights.
- Z-Wave and X10 interfaces
- IP cameras
Everything is built around HomeGenie server but these new smart home components will be of course open source and written in a way that could be used with any other smart home gateway or server.
It took some time before I started to work on this Smart Home UI, but finally, about a month ago, I did it.
There are already two connection adapter available:
- a demo adapter that simulates a smart home hub with a few devices connected.
- HomeGenie adapter that allow connection to HG server hubs and HG mini devices
As the time of writing there are only a few widgets available (switch, light, dimmer, button) but I will work on the other widgets in the next days (sensors, weather, energy monitor and so on) so stay tuned =)