092: Learning Kotlin - dealing with static-ness and (companion) objects costs
In this second episode of our learning Kotlin series, we talk about Kotlin’s support for static members or … lack thereof. Kotlin as a language was designed so that there’s no such thing as a “static member” in a class but there are times when having static members can be useful.
So what do we do in those cases? do we just avoid static members? are there better alternatives? what are the costs with some of these approaches?
Listen on to find out more!
- Package level functions (Kotlin docs)
- Static constants in Kotlin
- Object declarations
- Objects vs companion objects
Cost of approaches
- Where do i put my constants in Kotlin
- Exploring Kotlin's hidden costs - Part 1
- Kotlin discussion - best practices for top level declarations
Look at the fragmentedpodcast.com for some code snippets
- Ep.89 - Learning Kotlin: Properties a first class language feature
- Kotlin in Action – Manning Publications