This article was originally posted on my blog
Before communication can occur there should be a common language that is understood by both parties. Similarly to computers, before a programmer or a developer can communicate with a computer there should be something called programming language.
So, we can define a programming language as a set of instructions written in a well defined and structure manner to perform a specific task. In other words, a programming language is a high-level machine language used by developers to communicate with a computer.
Programming languages have been created for many different purposes. Some programming languages are designed to be easy for beginners to learn and use, while others are designed for more complex tasks. Some programming languages are created for very specific purposes, like games or solving math problems.
This article is about 20 programming languages and their uses - the most popular ones as well as some lesser-known ones.
20 Programming Languages and their uses
Table Content not allow on Dev.to so check out the list here
Types of programming languages
Machine Languages or low-level languages (0's and 1's)
Assembly Languages(logic operators and operators)
- High-level languages(C++, C#, C,JAVA, PYTHON, PHP, VISUAL BASIC etc.)
How Programming Language Works Together
Computers only understands machine languages(0's and 1's) so before a programmer can communicate with a computer there should be a translator formerly known as a interrupter.
An interpreters is written with and assembly language. This interpreters act as a "middle man" between the computer and the developer(user). The interpreters makes sure that the computer under stands the human readable language and the vice versa.
Developers(users) only understand high-level language like; C++, C#, C,JAVA, PYTHON, PHP, VISUAL BASIC etc.
What are the benefits of using these languages?
Some benefits of using these languages includes:
1) It is easier to write, read and debug a program written in a high level programming language than low level one because the former is easier to understand for humans
2) They allow programmers to express their ideas in a way that is closer to natural human language
3) They have built-in support for complex data structures such as arrays, lists, strings, etc.
4) They provide features such as automatic memory management
What are the challenges of using these languages?
A few challenges of using these languages are:
1) It takes time to learn these new skills because there are many different types of coding languages available in the market and each one has its own unique features.
2) There is no standardization in these coding languages, so it becomes difficult for programmers to find out what they should learn next because there will always be something new coming up in this field.
3) There was not enough research on how well these coding skills will hold
What are the future prospects for these languages?
Some other languages that are gaining popularity are Swift and Kotlin. These languages have been developed by Apple and Google respectively and they have been designed to provide better performance than Objective-C and Java.
What are the key considerations when selecting a programming language?
The first thing to consider is the level of difficulty. Some languages are considered more difficult than others, and some may be too difficult for you to learn.
Next, you should consider the industry that you are in. Different industries have different requirements for programming languages. For example, if you are a data scientist, then Python would be a great language to learn because it is really good at handling data manipulation tasks.
Finally, it is important to consider the kind of work that you want to do with your programming languages skills. If you want to work on mobile apps or create games, then Swift would be a good language for that kind of work because it is designed specifically for those kinds of projects.
We call it a wrap here! This article has discussed the 20 most popular programming languages and their uses. This article is a good resource for anyone who wants to learn about these languages and their uses. If you find this useful share and bookmark it for future reference.
Top comments (0)